The Free Text Host website is a new project by Dagon Design. The site allows visitors to host text without having to sign up or give any personal information. One possible usage for this is to host code snippets, but it can be used for just about anything really. Options include the ability to enter a password to allow you to edit or delete your text, and the choice to use preformatted text and make links clickable.
Try it out
- 04-16-11 – Added 2 new features. You can now chose to have pages automatically delete after a set number of days, or after being viewed a specified number of times.
- 02-23-10 – Fixed several bugs with BBCode such as font size, color, quotes, and more (make sure you enable the BBCode option).
- 10-07-09 – Added a view count to the bottom of the pages.
- 06-24-09 – Support for BBCode has been added. Just click the option to enable it for your page. A listing of the supported tags is given.
- 08-12-08 – Added a ‘Viewing password’ option. If you set one, it is required for your text to be viewed.
- 10-22-07 – Option added to make links clickable, and to enable/disable preformatted output. You can also now edit the text with the edit/delete password.
- 10-20-07 – First public release
Just enter your text and the verification code (to help prevent spam) and you will be given a randomly generated URL that only you will know.
There is currently a 50000 character limit. I will see how this works before I raise it higher.
If you choose to use this option, you can enter an admin password when submitting your text. This password will allow you to make changes or delete your page. If you do not include an admin password, the page cannot be modified.
A viewing password can also be set, which if used, will require visitors to know the password to view your text.
The view limit is the number of times the page can be viewed before it automatically deletes. Leave blank to disable automatic deletion.
The day limit is the number of days that the page will remain active before it automatically deletes. Leave blank to disable automatic deletion.
Preformatted text can be selected, which means extra whitespace and linebreaks will appear exactly as you type them, and a fixed width font will be used.
Links in your text can be made clickable (turned into actual html links). These links will contain the nofollow attribute.
BBCode is also now supported (if the option is selected). A list of currently supported BBCode tags can be found here: http://freetexthost.com/bbcode.php
Only one cookie is used on the site, and it is for the verification code. The only information it contains is the code itself, and it is used to help prevent spam.
Is my hosted text visible by others?
Only if you give them the URL, or they guess it. The URL contains a 10 digit random alphanumeric ID, which allows for up to 3656158440062976 unique IDs, so it would be hard to guess.
Can I print my text?
Yes. If you print your page, it will only print the text itself. Everything else will be removed from the page.
Can I edit/delete my text?
Yes. When you enter your text, you have an option for a password. If you enter one, you can use it to edit or delete your page later.
What if I lose my URL?
Then it is lost. This is by design.
While the generated pages are relatively private unless you give out the URL, Dagon Design cannot guarantee that no one will see your text by guessing the URL, etc.